Details of changes and news for patch 13.1b in LoL.
Due to the recent social engineering attack, League’s Patch 13.2 will not be deployed on 1/24 as planned. Our dev teams have been working hard over the last couple of days and have a hotfix prepared to be deployed on Thursday (1/26) that will have most of the content for both LoL and TFT.
We know this is disappointing but we believe we will have things repaired near the end of the week, which will allow us to remain on our regular patch cadence going forward.
Again, there is no indication that any player data or personal information was compromised. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.
With that said, we’re one patch into the year and following up Preseason with some sweeping changes to marksmen, their items, and fighter items. We also have a few pro-skewed nerfs to address the likes of Lucian/Nami and Yuumi, Chemtech Drake buffs, new Lunar Gods skins, and an update to surrender voting. See you on the Rift!
Lunar Emperor Thresh, Lunar Empress Ashe, Lunar Empress Qiyana, Lunar Guardian Kha’Zix, Lunar Guardian Malphite, and Prestige Porcelain Lissandra will be available January 26, 2023.
AD growth increased. E bonus damage on critical strikes decreased.
With the ADC changes coming this patch, GP’s going to strike treasure. To make sure his haul isn’t too lucrative, we’re preemptively nerfing him so that his endgame power will be roughly equal to what it currently is on live.
- AD Growth: 4 ⇒ 3.7
E – POWDER KEG
- Bonus Damage on Critical Strikes: 10% ⇒ 5%
Q turret health decreased. W magic damage decreased.
After his creative genius captured the adoration of fans across the globe in the World Championship last year, Heimerdinger has been progressing in presence in high skill brackets and Pro play. Unfortunately, his genius plays currently lack sufficient counterplay. In order to reduce his powerful and frustrating bot lane we’re reducing his turret health and base rocket damage while buffing his AP scaling to maintain his viability in the mid lane.
Q – H-28G EVOLUTION TURRET
- Turret Health: 175-700 (based on level) (+5%-40% (based on level) AP) ⇒ 130-640 (based on level) (+5%-45% (based on level) AP)
W – HEXTECH MICRO-ROCKETS
- Initial Magic Damage: 50/75/100/125/150 (+45% AP) ⇒ 40/65/90/115/140 (+55% AP)
E cooldown increased.
With Seraph’s Embrace being changed in 13.1, Kassadin has been having the time of his life. Unfortunately it’s time that came to an end, so we’re bringing his power down a tad to keep him in check.
E – FORCE PULSE
- Cooldown: 21/19/17/15/13 seconds ⇒ 21/20/19/18/17 seconds
Q base damage decreased.
Kindred has been on the hunt and on the rise lately, but the fighter item changes are expected to impact them negatively while the marksmen changes will be overall very positive. We’re giving them a preemptive nerf here to keep Kindred power neutral compared to their state on live.
Q – DANCE OF ARROWS
- Physical Damage: 60/85/110/135/160 (+75% Bonus AD) ⇒ 50/75/100/125/150 (+75% Bonus AD)
Passive AP scaling increased. Q AP scaling increased. E AP scaling increased, cooldown now decreases with rank.
Between her recent nerfs and the upcoming nerfs to Demonic Embrace this patch we want to make sure we don’t killia Lillia. We’re tuning up her AP ratios for the most part so she feels better about building and stacking more AP in her builds.
PASSIVE – DREAM-LADEN BOUGH
- Magic Damage: 5% (+1.2% per 100 AP) of target’s maximum health ⇒ 5% (+1.5% per 100 AP) of target’s maximum health
Q – BLOOMING BLOWS
- Magic Damage: 35/45/55/65/75 (+40% AP) ⇒ 35/45/55/65/75 (+45% AP)
- Outer Edge True Damage: 35/45/55/65/75 (+40% AP) ⇒ 35/45/55/65/75 (+45% AP)
E – SWIRLSEED
- Magic Damage: 70/95/120/145/170 (+45% AP) ⇒ 70/95/120/145/170 (+60% AP)
- Cooldown: 16 seconds at all ranks ⇒ 16/15.5/15/14.5/14 seconds
Base mana decreased, growth increased (buffed at level 9). Base mana regeneration decreased, growth increased (buffed at level 14).
Lucian and Nami are overtaking the Pro scene, which means we need to address them. Unfortunately, Lucian as-is doesn’t fare too well in the hands of non-Elite players. We’re lowering his lane bullying potential (about 10% less mana at level 1) while making him more forgiving to play at later levels (more mana at level 11 and beyond) which should help address this disparity. Lucian is also expected to be a big winner from Essence Reaver’s buffs in this patch, hence some preemptive nerfs. Overall, we’re hoping for Lucian to be roughly the same after these changes for the vast majority of players while he should perform worse in Pro.
- Base Mana: 349 ⇒ 320
- Mana Growth: 38 ⇒ 43
- Base Mana Regeneration: 8.18 ⇒ 7
- Mana Regeneration Growth: 0.7 ⇒ 0.8
Q bonus damage to monsters decreased. E magic damage decreased.
Maokai’s current jungle power level exceeds what this patch’s nerf for Demonic Embrace will do, so we’re treeting him with some additional nerfs to bring him more in line with other junglers.
Q – BRAMBLE SMASH
- Bonus Damage to Monsters: 120/140/160/180/200 ⇒ 100/120/140/160/180
E – SAPLING TOSS
- Magic Damage: 55/80/105/130/155 (+6% bonus health) (+40% AP) ⇒ 55/80/105/130/155 (+5% bonus health) (+35% AP)
- Empowered Sapling Magic Damage: 110/160/210/260/310 (+12% bonus health) (+80% AP) ⇒ 110/160/210/260/310 (+10% bonus health) (+70% AP)
W adjusted. E base damage decreased.
Nami has been dominating in both solo queue and Pro play, so we’re reducing W and E’s flat damage while compensating W’s AP ratio to make her less of a lane bully and bring her into better waters.
W – EBB AND FLOW
- Magic Damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (+50% AP) ⇒ 60/100/140/180/220 (+55% AP)
E – TIDECALLER’S BLESSING
- Bonus Magic Damage per Hit: 25/40/55/70/85 (+20% AP) ⇒ 20/35/50/65/80 (+20% AP)
Passive damage adjusted. Q damage increased to consecutive targets. W mana cost decreased. R damage increased.
Orianna has been stuck as a mid lane understudy for a while now due to her ability to get wound up and take over Pro. It’s been a while since she’s seen the spotlight though, so we’re comfortable with giving her some measured buffs that’ll at least give her a shot at a starring role.
PASSIVE – CLOCKWORK WINDUP
- UPDATEDTik Tok: 10-50 (levels 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, and 16) ⇒ 10-50 (levels 1-18)(Note: Damage is unchanged)
Q – COMMAND: ATTACK
- Pass Through Damage Reduction: The ball deals 100% damage to the first target hit and damage afterwards is reduced by 10% per enemy hit ⇒ The ball deals 100% damage to the first target hit and damage afterwards is reduced to 70% to all enemies hit after the first
W – COMMAND: DISSONANCE
- Mana Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 ⇒ 70/75/ 80/85/90
R – COMMAND: SHOCKWAVE
- Magic Damage: 200/275/350 (+80% AP) ⇒ 250/350/450 (+90% AP)
Base magic resist decreased. Passive AP scaling decreased.
With 13.1’s buffs to Rod of Ages and Seraph’s Embrace, it’s no surprise one of the biggest benefactors was Ryze. With Seraph’s and Catalyst returning to giving heaps of Ability Power and durability, Ryze is finding himself less blue (purple???)… especially in Elite and Pro play. We’re tuning down how well his passive scales with Ability Power, which was buffed in a time where Ryze had much more limited access to his most important stats in items.
- Magic Resistance: 36 ⇒ 32
PASSIVE – ARCANE MASTERY
- Increased Maximum Mana: 10% per 100 AP ⇒ 6% per 100 AP
Q AD scaling decreased, attack speed increased. R base damage decreased.
In 12.23, we shifted the power from Udyr’s Q into his other stances, but we overshot on the power of his R, so it’s now overperforming other rank-up options. We’re reverting one of those buffs and expect his stances to be more equally viable with the additional Demonic Embrace nerfs coming this patch. We’re also slightly reducing the burst potential of his heavy AD builds, which are less powerful but still have frustrating levels of percent health burst when combined with early armor penetration.
Q – WILDING CLAW
- Bonus Physical Damage: 3/4/5/6/7/8% (+5% per 100 bonus AD) ⇒ 3/4/5/6/7/8% (+4% per 100 bonus AD)
- Bonus Attack Speed: 20/30/40/50/60/70% ⇒ 20/32/44/56/68/80%
R – WINGBORNE STORM
- Base Damage per Tick: 10/20/30/40/50/60 ⇒ 10/19/28/37/46/55
Attack range decreased. Passive now temporarily increases attack range.
The magical cat’s last nerfs reduced a lot of her power in solo queue, but still kept her at an uncomfortable level in Pro. With her current presence and upcoming ADC changes, we’re going to be taking the last nerfs a bit further as we continue to rework her. We’re limiting Yuumi’s ability to effectively trade with her basic attacks and health pool, which has been a big factor in her Pro dominance.
- Attack Range: 500 ⇒ 425
- Base Attack Damage: 55 ⇒ 49
- Base Health: 550 ⇒ 500
- Base Health Regeneration: 7 ⇒ 5
PASSIVE – BOP ‘N’ BLOCK
- NEWAttack Range: When Bop ‘n’ Block is ready Yuumi will gain 25 bonus range for that attack only.
- Shield Strength: 60-380 (based on level) ⇒ 45-300 (based on level)
W – YOU AND ME!
- Adaptive Force: 12-20 (+12-20% of bonus) ⇒ 12-20 (+6-10% of bonus)
E – ZOOMIES
- REMOVEDMovement Speed: 20% (+2% per 100 AP) ⇒ 20% (Note: AP ratio was removed)
E now reduces the opponent’s magic resist when asleep.
Since 12.10, Zoe is one of the few burst mages that hasn’t been adjusted to new magic resist values, and her success in lower levels of play is suffering as a result. Zoe’s all about getting ahead early and snowballing, but in recent times it’s been more challenging for her to find those kills early in game. So we’re giving her a small improvement that should keep her burst damage feeling powerful without making her feel overwhelmingly oppressive.
- NEWPutting the Trouble in the Bubble: Enemies inflicted with sleep from Zoe’s Sleepy Trouble Bubble now have their Magic Resist reduced by 20/22.5/25/27.5/30%. (Note: This debuff disappears when the target is woken up.)
We’re making some adjustments this patch that should help reduce some of the current frustration with fighters, namely the high levels of sustain and ability haste that the classhas access to. To tackle ability haste, we’re separating it from most defensive items which should mean that a fighter will need to pick between ability haste and durability for their second item purchase, delaying some of their power into their third item. As far as omnivamp goes, we want to curb stacking sources of sustain to slow down heavy snowballing itemizations.
We’re aware that some of the currently underperforming fighters may fall behind without sustain or with longer cooldowns as a result of these changes. We’ll be monitoring each champion affected individually, and will adjust where needed due to how many core items we’re changing.
- REMOVEDOmnivamp: 7% ⇒ 0%
- NEWAbility Haste: 0 ⇒ 15
- NEWShield Cooldown: 8 seconds for melee champions/16 seconds for ranged champions ⇒ 6 seconds for melee champions/12 seconds for ranged champions
- NEWItem Recipe Update: Serrated Dirk + Long Sword + Vampiric Scepter ⇒ Serrated Dirk + Caulfield’s Warhammer (Note: total cost unchanged)
- UPDATEDPicky Eater: 10% Omnivamp ⇒ 10% Lifesteal
- Ability Haste: 20 ⇒ 25
- NEWBig Appetite: Cleave damage will now trigger Lifesteal
- UPDATED Lifeline Omnivamp: 10% Omnivamp ⇒ 12% Lifesteal
- Attack Damage: 55 ⇒ 65
- Ability Haste: 20 ⇒ 0
- NEWItem Recipe Update: Hexdrinker + Caulfield’s Warhammer ⇒ Hexdrinker + Pickaxe + Long Sword (Note: total cost unchanged)
- Attack Damage: 55 ⇒ 65
- Armor: 45 ⇒ 50
- REMOVED Ability Haste: 15 ⇒ 0
- Defy Healing on Takedown: 120% bonus AD ⇒ 50% bonus AD
- NEWItem Recipe Update: Chain Vest + Caulfield’s Warhammer + Pickaxe ⇒ Chain Vest + Pickaxe + Pickaxe (Note: total cost unchanged)
- Health: 350 ⇒ 400
Grievous Wounds is a necessary effect found on mostly pretty weak items, leading to items that are both unreliable and unsatisfying when it comes to heal cut. We’re buffing Grievous Wounds items, but not Grievous Wounds itself, with a couple main goals.
First, we want Grievous Wounds accessible when you identify that you need it — not 2500 or more gold later. That means having component items that actually matter, not just finished ones. Second, we want Grievous Wounds items to make sense in builds, with reasonable gold efficiency. Third, we don’t want you playing minigames to access Grievous Wounds – we want it to just work when you need it.
And yes, it’s perfectly ok to buy an Executioner’s Calling or Bramble Vest and just sit on it while you buy other stuff if the game calls for it.
For those interested in the numbers, a note on why we didn’t increase the Grievous Wounds amount from 40% back to 60%. We need to tune healing numbers around what happens in-game, and Grievous Wounds scales very aggressively as the number gets higher. Healing output at 40% Grievous Wounds is half again higher than healing output at 60% Grievous Wounds… which sounds great, until someone gets a heal off when Grievous Wounds happens to have fallen off, and it ends up being unexpectedly huge. The stronger we make Grievous Wounds, the more large, unexpected burst heals you should expect to see in your games.
- Build Path: Oblivion Orb + Bandleglass Mirror + 550 gold (total cost 2500 gold) ⇒ Oblivion Orb + Forbidden Idol + 700 gold (total cost 2300 gold)
- Ability Power: 60 ⇒ 40
- Ability Haste: 20 ⇒ 15
- Increase Healing and Shielding Strength: 0% ⇒ 8%
- UPDATEDGrievous Wounds Application: Application reworked, now causes 40% Grievous Wounds on any damage application. (Note: the ability to apply Grievous Wounds by buffing allies has been removed)
- Health: 300 ⇒ 200
- Magic Penetration: 0 ⇒ 10
- Grievous Wounds: 25% (increased to 40% if the target has below 50% health) ⇒ 40% (Note: There is no longer any extra reward for hitting low health targets.)
- Build Path: Executioner’s Calling + Zeal + 750 gold(total cost 2600) ⇒ Executioner’s Calling + Last Whisper + Cloak of Agility + 150 gold (total cost 3000 gold)
- Attack Speed: 20% ⇒ 0%
- Armor Penetration: 0% ⇒ 30%
- Movement Speed: 7% ⇒ 0%
- Grievous Wounds: 25% (increased to 40% after hitting the same target 3 times) ⇒ 40% (Note: There is no longer any extra reward for hitting the same target 3 times.)
- Magic Damage Reflected to Attackers: 10 (+20% bonus armor) ⇒ 10 (+25% bonus armor)
- Grievous Wounds: 25% on taking damage, 40% on immobilizing enemies ⇒ 40% on taking damage. (Note: There is no longer any Grievous Wounds application when applying crowd control.)
While AD Carries aren’t strictly weak, League has gotten faster and most of their best items have been pushed later into their builds over the years. We’re adjusting Infinity Edge and Navori Quickblades to make them available as second items so that ADCs can access their most important power spike earlier in the game.
For those who find their team comp lacks proper peel, we’ve also buffed opt-in durability with a cheaper, shieldier Bloodthirster.
Finally, we’re alleviating late game mana constraints on several AD carries who frequently run Presence of Mind. These buffs should give those specific champions more room to run healthier options like Triumph or Overheal.
These changes will certainly add power to ADCs overall but we’re hoping this has an oversized effect on making the role funner to play.
- Life Steal: 18% ⇒ 15%
- Shield: 50-320 (levels 1-18) ⇒ 180-450 (levels 9-18)
- Total Cost: 3400 ⇒ 3200
- W – Deadly Flourish Mana Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 ⇒ 50/55/60/65/70
- E – Captive Audience Mana Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 ⇒ 30 at all ranks
Blade of the Ruined King was adjusted as part of the fighter item changes AND the ADC changes this patch, so the rationale for both of those changes extended to BoRK as well.
- Cooldown: 20 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds
- Ranged On-Hit Damage: 8% ⇒ 9%
- Siphon Bonus Magic Damage: 40-150 (levels 1-18) ⇒ 40-103 (levels 9-18)
Demonic Embrace is currently just a bit too good on melee champions and nearly non-viable on ranged ones. We think that Demonic should still be a strong item, just not simultaneously mandatory on some champs while being extremely weak on others.
- Maximum Health Burn: 1.8% for melee champions/0.8% for ranged champions ⇒ 1.6% for melee champions/1.0% for ranged champions
Essence Reaver is currently letting down the champions that want to build it most, so we’re upping its power a bit to be more in line with other itemization options.
- Attack Damage: 45 ⇒ 55
- Total Gold Cost: 2800 ⇒ 2900
- Aatrox: Damage Received: 100% ⇒ 90%, Tenacity: 0 ⇒ 20
- Katarina: Ability Haste 0 ⇒ 10
- Fiddlesticks: Damage Received: 100% ⇒ 105%
- Illaoi: Damage Received: 100% ⇒ 105%
- Sion: Tenacity: 0 ⇒ -20
- Swain: Healing Modifier: 100% ⇒ 90%
Leblanc has been one of the most heavily modified champions in ARAM, so we’re looking to see if helping her use her abilities more frequently but less powerfully helps mitigate some of the frustration of dying to what feels like two buttons while keeping Leblanc players satisfied when they execute their full combo.
- Leblanc: Damage Dealt: 117% ⇒ 110%, Damage Received: 83% ⇒ 90%, Ability Haste 0 ⇒ 20
DEATH TIMER REDUCTION
Since the ARAM updates in patch 12.22, we’ve heard a lot of feedback about pacing in game modes, specifically around Death Timers. We agree that these timers are too long (especially in URF), so we’re going to be testing out some changes to them. While this set of changes may not hit the sweet spot right away, we’ll be following up in future patches to get them to a better place and roll them out to other game modes.
- Faster URF Respawns: Death timers have been reduced by 3 seconds at each level.
Chemtech Drake has been settling back into the Rift and is adjusting well, but is still a bit less powerful than the other drakes. We’re giving Chemtech some small buffs to make it feel just a little more at home.
- Chemtech Drake Buff: 5% Tenacity and Heal/Shield power ⇒ 6% Tenacity and Heal/Shield power
- Chemtech Drake Soul: 10% damage resistance and increased damage dealt when below 50% health ⇒ 11% damage resistance and increased damage dealt when below 50% health